There are times when a user may want to change the Bluehost Primary Domain Name to a New Domain name. So if you don’t know how to do it on BlueHost? Well, no worries! In this post, we are going to share the two simple ways to do it.
- You can do it manually
- You can take help of BlueHost support
Things You Should Know Before Renaming Your Account
- Depending on the size of your account, the process can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 5 hours.
- Usernames, passwords, files, and databases will all be kept the same.
- Regardless, we recommend backing up the websites and databases before downloading them to your PC.
- These domains’ forwarders will be removed.
- The new primary domain will point to the directory public_html (the same way the primary domain does currently).
- The ability to publish a Weebly site on both the old and new primary domains will be broken as a result of this if the customer has ever logged into Weebly).
- Custom DNS modifications made to either of these domains will be lost and must be redone. Cloudflare will be disabled on these domains as well.
- In order for the sites to work following the rename, website files for both domains may need to be relocated. Files for the new primary domain should go into the public_html directory, while files for the previous primary domain should go into a subdirectory of public_html. After the rename is complete, the former primary domain can be given to this subdomain.
1. Manually changing primary domain at BlueHost
Make a note of your current primary domain, new primary domain, and the final four characters of your password. Also, make sure you’ve read and understood the above points.
Step 1: Log in to your cPanel
Step 2: Navigate to the Order Information View
In the search window, type the domain name and choose Order from the drop-down menu. Click the Search button.
Step 3: Change domain
Look for a “Change domain” option on the order page and click on it. You’ll need to type in your “new primary domain” and then hit Save.
Step 4: Done
That is all there is to it. After you click Save, a box will appear that says “Your request to modify the primary domain of your hosting package has been placed.” Simply press the OK button and within a few hours, your primary domain will be changed.
2. Changing the Primary Domain with BlueHost’s customer support
Don’t worry if the basic four-step procedure we explained appears “technically advanced” to you. You can always contact them by phone at 888-401-4678, or you may also chat with BlueHost customer service, and they will lead you through the process and assist you in any way they can to make the process easier for you.